St. Augustine Wedding Photographer | How to get authentic candid photos on your wedding day

January 9, 2024

Welcome to
the blog!
I'm Sara Purdy, a wedding and portrait photographer serving clients in their most joyous seasons for well over a decade! I am so glad you are here!
Learn more
Grab our wedding guide!
Don't let the planning get you overwhelmed! Grab our freebie with timelines, vendor suggestions and more! 

How does your photographer approach candid photos?

The word “candid” gets thrown around a lot in the photography industry and it’s becoming more trendy for the way brides describe what they envision for their photos capturing their day.

While this is great (and I do love me some moments filled with real, honest emotion), the “candid” photos you see (especially on instagram!), don’t typically unfold naturally.

Those photos of champagne pours? Or spinning through a field or giggling intimately with each other? There’s (100%) likely someone giving that couple instructions, or prompting them to do so.

We cover wedding days & engagements with a 20/80 approach. 20% of the time, (during portraits on wedding days especially) we give direction and start with a pose and prompt our couples to let emotions and moments unfold following that pose, but the other 80% of the day? We try to capture it as authentically as it unfolds. (These are moments from the start of the day, to the ceremony, and of course the reception!)

So how can you add to more authentic, “candid” moments to your day?

Be fully present with those around you. Smile and laugh with guests, and down worry about if a camera is pointing at you.

Don’t fight back emotions. Feel tears coming on? Let them flow. Having a gut busting laugh, let it out!

On wedding days, dont shy away from sharing intimate moments with those you hold dear. Is grandma standing with you? Hold her hands. A flower girl wanting to sit with you? Kneel down and put your arm around her. (Physically connecting with those around you, allows for more genuine moments!)

Kiss your partner WHENEVER you want. You dont have to wait for someone to tell you, or glasses to clink. If you feel like stealing a kiss, Do it!

When the party starts, get on the dance floor. Yes, I said it. The most candid moments happen when you are surrounded by those who love you and are joining you on the floor!

Give this post a like and follow along for more tips! 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

reader faves


browse by category







welome to the blog

I'm Sara and I'm so happy you're here! This blog is a journal about really great love stories, and our lives. Stay a while and say hello!

Learn more




The Clover club Wedding guide

Dolor mixtape food truck Austin, assumenda Odd Future Carles ani Echo Park cillum.


free download


Let's alleviate some of the stress, grab our wedding day guide! (A little thank you for stopping by!)

© sara purdy photography 2023

palm coast, florida